Paying attention is the disciplined art of seeing more accurately. It is the starting point for making sense of complexity and challenge.
People who are competent at paying attention can do the following:
- Focus their attention; shift focus as required.
- Focus the attention of others; shift the focus of others.
- Attend to the emotions, needs and concerns of themselves and others.
- Perceive deeply before deciding.
- Go against the grain by trying new ways to observe, gather information, and make sense of it.
- Persevere in paying attention, despite discomfort.
- Involve others to bring in multiple perspectives.
- Explore differences in perspective.
- Shift attention to the periphery, gray areas and negative spaces.
Are You Paying Attention?